Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Goodbye Sounds A Lot Like Hello

SUMMER. A word synonymous with no homework, sleeping in, staying out late, tanning by the pool, and spending time with friends. From day 1 of every school year the hearts of students are turned in their longing countdown to when that beautiful season will greet them once more. At BYU, for those of us not planning to attend Spring and Summer term, our summers start sooner than most. April 18th rolled around this year and I found myself wishing we had more time rather than throwing my papers in the air and running to put a bathing suit on. For me packing up my apartment and leaving what had been my home for the last eight months was one of the most painful things I have ever had to do. Saying goodbye to the best freshmen year anyone could have dreamt up made it difficult to focus on the amazing new experiences I had before me in the future.

The only way for me to truly begin summer is to say goodbye to all those things I have been trying to hold onto from this past year and, as you all have noticed, I am quite fond of making lists so I deemed it only appropriate that I should make one for this.

  • MY WARD: Two buildings, 150 young adults, and one amazing bishopric and stake leadership. No one will ever be able to understand the love and friendship that we all had in this ward. No drama, no fighting, judgment wasn't present in the 54th ward. We welcomed each other and stretched forth support for anyone who needed it. After working closely and forming friendships with the amazing people in my ward I can honestly say that each and everyone of them taught me something and touched my life. 
  • MY BUILDING: Moving into a four story building that was to be filled to the brim with girls I was a little bit wary of what the outcome would be. Add in the fact that each apartment was going to be six girls to one bathroom and you have given enough fuel to set off an explosion that would make any nuclear bomb feel inferior. Yet, Tingey Hall received a beautiful miracle that not one of us could explain. Each apartment turned into little families and as a hall we all became our own community. You couldn't walk into the building without having someone greet you and ask you about your day. We were all concerned about each other's well being and were sensitive to each other's needs. These girls will forever hold a place in my heart and in my life.
  • MY ROOMMATES: Here is where I definitely hit the trifecta! Amazing ward, building, AND getting to spend everyday with four of your best friends; if I were to have asked for this much I would have seen my own plea as greedy and unrealistic. By grace I was once again given much more than I deserved and was placed in an apartment with four girls who became my family. Coming home everyday, even after eight months, we were still excited to see each other. Snuggling in each other's beds, staying up way too late watching movies or playing silly games, dressing up whenever the opportunity arose, and genuinely caring for one another, our apartment was a place where you could feel safe, loved, and always welcome. Our door was always open, literally (even though for some guests it might have been better served as being locked.) I will love these girls forever, and as our traveling watch will tell you, we will only be separated for a time but our friendship will continue on.
  • Goodbye: late night talks, discussions in the laundry room, running over to Brinton's apartment, eating guacamole and watching Much Ado About Nothing, dance parties with the girls, listening to my neighbors' conversations from the comfort of my own bed next door :], walking to class and saying hi to almost everyone going the opposite way, taking hours to say goodnight, stealing signs from other buildings, late night off-roading trips, watching Bishop's facial expressions during Sacrament meeting, and so much more.
When every great thing comes to an end the hardest thing on looking back is to just be thankful for the amazing memories and experiences that molded you into the person you have become. Things will never be the same again but that is not to say that they won't be better in their own, new, way. Goodbye Freshman year, you have served me well and blessed me with more happiness than any one person could hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment